What’s the difference between this recital and the last?
- Things are not rushed, you can plan out accordingly
- You get the chance to look back on how you did things last time and improve on them
- Parents and students now get an idea on how things will go
- What happened at the last recital that didn’t go so well?
- Make a few notes on what you would like to do differently and how you can improve on them
- Ask parents for their opinion on how things went last time
What went well
- What were some things you did last time that did go well
- Make a note of these things to make sure that you do them again!
Why is this recital different from the last?
- You now have more experience this time through
- You will not be rushed in changing plans
- You might have some online AND in-person lessons - how will you address these students who are now in-person
- I will be recording my in-person students at their lesson time and will use that shot for the recital video. That way I will be there to get the right camera angle, lighting, hand positioning, rhythms, etc.
2-3 months before recital
- Poll: ask parents what they want to do (Zoom, YouTube, etc.)
- Send out an email with details on how this recital will be planned and what they will need to do on their end to provide the best performance
- The recital theme...you can still do a fun theme for your online recital!
- Start picking out music and send links to sheet music online
- Go over the rules: dress code, video submission, duets, etc. just so students and parents have an idea of what’s going on
- If you are planning out some awards, make sure to figure out how you will be delivering them!
1 month before recital
- Make a purchase for the awards
- Check in with the students and the parents on the progress making sure they are on their way
- Record your teacher duets and send videos to students so that they can practice with them ahead of time
2-3 weeks before recital
- Practicing stage presence
- Reviewing deadlines for video submissions, dress codes, and answering any questions
- Preparing programs to send online
- Prepare and record your recital speech
Week of recital
- Finalizing programs and send over to parents
- Sharing awards to students
- Make some test runs through your program to prevent any “surprises”
- Schedule video and send out links
- Last minute reminders